Health anxiety is a condition marked by excessive worrying that you are ill or may fall seriously ill, despite the confirmation from specialists that you are perfectly healthy. Even when tests find no medical ailments, sufferers may perceive normal sensations or mild symptoms to be signs of a severe underlying condition.
People with a pre-existing disease, or those in the high risk group, often tend to be overwhelmed with worry. Any symptom or sensation associated with some disease may be construed by the sufferer that they are suffering from that illness.
For example, people with family history of skin cancer may perceive a normal spot on skin to be a sign of cancer. Such increased anxiety can then lead to elevated distress which can be very disabling.
Symptoms of health anxiety
- Preoccupation with having or being afflicted by a serious disease
- Being easily upset about the status of one’s health
- Worrying that normal symptoms of anxiety may be signs of a severe medical condition
- Reassurance from doctors or negative diagnostic test results fails to offer any solace or affirmation about one’s good health
- Increased distress about possible underlying ailments that may hamper daily life
- Excessive worrying about suffering from a particular disease or getting it in the future due to a family history of that disease
- Checking the body repeatedly for signs of diseases
- Avoiding activities, people, or places due to the fear of becoming ill
- Frequent visits to doctors for reassurance about no underlying condition, or avoiding doctor consultations for fear of getting diagnosed with a severe ailment
- Regularly searching the web for different symptoms of varied diseases
- Always talking about different diseases and one’s health
Causes of health anxiety
The factors below may play an role when it comes to the cause of health anxiety:
- Children of parents with increased worry about personal health are more likely to suffer from health anxiety
- Poor understanding of different diseases or bodily sensations
- Serious illness in childhood or past experience with abnormal and physical symptoms or fearful sensations
- A sudden panic attack
Understanding Health Anxiety Through Treatment Options
Treatment for health anxiety means you no longer are aiming towards coping and managing the problem, you’re actually ready to put it behind you. No method will work until you take full responsibility for your health anxiety, and understand that the coach/mentor/counsellor is only there to show you the path, but you must walk it.
Treatment for health anxiety means gaining full acceptance, building on evidence that supports your good health, having an excellently educated anxiety support group, and taking daily actions to create neutral emotions in the face of things you fear. When you begin understanding health anxiety better through the End The Anxiety Program, The Anxiety Guy Podcast, or videos below, you gain power over your subconscious mind, and can begin your conscious journey towards freedom.
Cognitive behavioral therapy and or Neuroscience Linguistic Programming can also help to identify the fears and incorrect beliefs that are engrained in the subconscious mind, learn different ways to overcome unhelpful thoughts, and inculcate better self-help behaviours.
Regular exercise; healthy, balanced diet; participation in family and social activities; breathing techniques, yoga, meditation; lifestyle changes; avoiding alcohol; quitting smoking; and avoiding searching the web for different diseases can also help treat health anxiety.
Understanding Health Anxiety Is Crucial. Watch The Videos Below For A Deeper Understanding
What Is Health Anxiety: CLICK HERE
Top 10 Rules Top Crush Health Anxiety: CLICK HERE
How To Face Your Symptoms Of Health Anxiety: CLICK HERE
Top 10 Powerful Tips For Health Anxiety Sufferers: CLICK HERE